This was a piece that I spent a good 2 weeks on, just because I wanted it to have all solid colors.
You see, most of the time I shade using a color pencil by giving more or less pressure, leaving more or less white space. but I wanted this one to be all solid, which meant using different color pencils for different shades rather than shading with 1 color. But this also meant I’d have to go over the same drawing over, and over, and over…It was tedious, but worth it. At least, I think so. What do you think?
This one was a doozy. I had a week to create a image in my Graphic Design 1 class using a Compound Word and using images related to the word to create a new one. I went a completely different path than the rest of my class and I payed dearly for it.
I chose the compound work Supersonic because of it’s relation to Sonic and that no one else would choose Supersonic… except me, of course! X)
The effect I was looking for didn’t work out nearly as well as I’d hoped, but that’s what you get for doing something so ambitious in ~6 hours.
The images seen here are of characters that have had games with Super in their game library: Super Mario Bros, Super Metroid, Super Bonk, Super Bomberman, the list goes on. Obviously I chose more recognizable characters… that’s so I could convey that this image was made up of games with Super in their title without having to spell it out.
Each image was live traced (because of time…), and each image layed together like a puzzle peace by hand (about half of it anyways, copy-paste is your friend!). Than I used the Pathfinder tool to separate where the Super Sonic image and the other images meet, and than changed those that meet to %100 Opacity (again, by hand…).
I think I did okay… It still didn’t work out as well as I’d had hoped, so I might re-do this in the future to make Super Sonic more visible. Other than that, enjoy!
Oh, how do I start this one?…
as I went through the long list of group submissions, I noticed a lot of people giving Sonic fur, but sometimes it seemed to be in the wrong place, too long, or whatever. Obviously that’s a design choice on their part, and weather or not they do that doesn’t really matter to me.
But it got me thinking: What if Sonic appeared to have REAL fur? or if there was a definite list between what was supposed to be fur and what as not?
So I pulled out my sketchbook and decided that this one was gonna require a full page. Obviously I went the hotdog way so that I could focus on the face more than the body.
The glove was shaded using cross-stitching (AKA, shading over an area twice, both at separate 45 degree angles) so that the glove appeared woven… or, at least not plastic. His belly, ears and muzzle I essentially pillow shaded. I believe those are basically shaved areas on his body, which is why it’s pretty simplistic. Obviously, the hair was the hardest part. I spent a bit of time figuring out which way the hair would go, where it would meet, etc. a majority of the lines where made only on the down stroke (although you’ll notice I rushed in some places… sue me.)
I think the biggest mistake I made was the eyelid. To be honest, I had no idea weather that should be fur or shaved, or if he should even have an eyelid. the result was a blend between the fur shading style and the shaved belly pillow shade style. Looking at the picture now, it looks out of place.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this one! I’ve got a more creative, DIGITAL work coming this Thursday, so don’t miss out. :)